Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Change is Coming

With 1.7 coming out, I have heard a lot of suggestions about what to do to the server. This post is going to explain what I think we should do to the server based off of these suggestions and my own ideas.

What about Lego Universe?

To sum up: I am not going to create a Lego Universe server. If you want to know the reasons, I made a forum post to try to explain the reasons. There are a lot of reasons that I explain in great detail, making it very long, which is why I excluded it from this homepage post.
Now while I won't be making a Lego Universe server, I may make a server that has similar game play. It would be like a MMORPG with loot and everything. However, I will be doing this on the side in my free time, along with a possible minigame server. My main focus, however, will be on our server.

My Idea, Your Suggestions

Our World

We have had our world for months. It has grown very massive, large enough that you cannot see the whole thing even in the dynmap. The 1.7 update is coming, however, and it has some amazing world generation changes planned. So what are we going to do about our world?
Build and Ion have a great solution. When 1.7 comes out, we create a new world with the new generator. This will be our new survival world.
"But wait, ImagineMan. What about all the months of work we have done in the world we have now!" Fortunately, Build and Ion had this planned, too. Almost no one uses the current creative world. When 1.7 comes out, we will remove it and replace it with our current world. Our new creative world will be the one we have now. So if you want to continue building on that castle, just warp over to the creative world.

Our Theme

So far our server has been basically been friendly survival. PvP isn't really allowed and we all just go our way building our own castle with the closest neighbor being hundreds of blocks away.
Instead, our server will have a PvP Survival theme. Before PvP was an issue because we decided that some players may not want to battle or be back stabbed, so we had rules that severely limited it and looked for plugins that would disable PvP per player. With the server being a PvP server, you can attack anyone whenever you want. You do not need to worry about being punished for sneak attacking someone.
"But wait again, ImagineMan. What if I don't want to be killed or don't want to battle?" If that is what you want, then you can stay in your house. You will be safe there, with your GriefPrevention claim and nice iron doors.
But wouldn't this mean you could hide in your house forever? Nope, because players can siege your house once every 24 hours. During a siege, they can enter your claim and destroy a few soft blocks (ex. dirt and wool) or stand there until you come out and fight. The only way you, as the defender, can end the siege is by leaving and giving up or killing the attacker.
This will make more sense when we implement this in-game but understand that this is a great balance. Players can battle each other wherever and can siege each others houses. Or you can stay in the safety of your home, but not completely. I am thinning that with this system, we will have some really cool battles go on and some amazing traps will be invented.

More Vanilla

Another change that would be good is less plugins and more vanilla experience. Ion suggested this, and I agree that things can be simpler and sometimes more fun if we don't change the whole game with Bukkit. We will still have some amazing plugins but still keep that Minecraft feel to it.
One way this will be done is transportation. Right now you just teleport to anyone you want or anywhere you want. What is planned that you won't be able to teleport to players anymore and the amount of homes will be limited. Instead, you will either have to ride your horse, minecart, or boat. Or, you can use portals. I plan to add a plugin where you can create your own portals. Build two and link them together and you can travel very quickly.

So Let Us Begin

This is a general idea on what I think our server should be like. I will give you more specifics as time goes on. I would like to thank you all for your suggestions, especially Build and Ion for their ideas that made up much of this post.
This is a lot of change, which is why I want your suggestions. I want to make sure the server is fun for everyone. So please give me your feedback on the forum so I know what you think.