Sunday, November 3, 2013

Status for Bukkit

While I have not been online very often, I have been on enough to have lots of fun with you guys - and to be shocked how much you have built in so little time! So far 1.7 is definitely awesome, but some of you may be wondering when we will get Bukkit. I try to explain the situation below.

Bukkit

One thing that makes Bukkit great is that they always make sure they give you the very best. They go through rigorous testing to make sure their builds are bug free and ready for action. The problem is this can take a very long time.
Right now there is not a 1.7 Bukkit. They are still busy finishing it. When they are finished, I will know because I check their site many times a day.
There is a 1.7 Spigot server file. Spigot is a fork of Bukkit, and in short means they are very similar. We could go right ahead and install it except there are two problems with this.
First, this version is completely unsupported. The community requested a 1.7 version so the Spigot team put one together. Unfortunately this file may be full of bugs because it is not ready.
Second, most of our plugins won't work. The plugins build themselves on Bukkit. They cannot update to 1.7 until Bukkit updates. Think of Bukkit as the foundation and the plugins as the blocks. You cannot build a house without a foundation first. So until Bukkit comes out, most plugins would not work on the unsupported Spigot 1.7 file.
So the best option we have is to wait for Bukkit to update. Unfortunately, this could mean we will have to wait for another week or maybe more. I cannot tell you for sure because Bukkit could be done really soon or they could take a while. For now we will all have to enjoy plain Vanilla Minecraft.

3 comments:

  1. I think I am not the only one who feels the server itself has undergone a change much larger than the world and plugin reset. All of us are within walking distance of each other, and with the road Alec (and maybe others I am not aware of) is building, Sat will be the only one not connected to the village, though he is still fairly close by. Because of this closeness, everything seems to be more peaceful and friendly on the server. Smart and Build aren't even worrying about war now, and nobody has bothered building massive walls to protect their property from each other. The vanilla feel seems to make this even better for me, and others may feel the same. If we complicate things too much, I am worried this will change back to the way it was. More enchantments would encourage people to start building OP armor again, leading to more PVP, for example. I'd like to have another vote for the general theme of the server, if that's ok with everyone, since our opinions seem to have changed from the "choconilla" we decided on with virtual horses and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Ion. The server definitely is different, probably even better than it was before. It is great how close we were before where before we were very far away and just teleported here and there. The peace is also really nice.
      I also agree that we should reconsider the general theme (cool that you remembered my "choconilla" post). My opinion is close to yours, where we should keep the server Vanilla. However, I do want Grief Prevention and perhaps only a few other plugins, but overall I want to keep the experience Vanilla.
      I will make a post and poll about this. This is very important for us to decide.

      Delete

Comment moderation is currently turned off. Have fun commenting!